Vietnam Said within Six Months This Year There Were Nearly 120,000 Cambodian Tourist Arrivals in Vietnam – Wednesday, 25.8.2010
The Mirror, Vol. 14, No. 679
Would you please mouse-click, further up on this page here, on About The Mirror to read information about changes planned to be implemented, starting from 1 September 2010.
Editor of The Mirror
“Phnom Penh: Within six months of this year, the Vietnamese authorities said that the Cambodian tourist arrivals in Vietnam increased to nearly 120,000, but Cambodian experts said that most of them went for medical services.
“According to a Vietnamese agency, within six months of this year among the tourist arrivals in Vietnam, as many as 117,000 are Cambodians, an increase by 36%.
“The same source added that Ho Chi Minh City attracted most Cambodian tourists, other areas such as the highland in the central area, the Mekong low lying area, and southeast provinces followed. Ho Chi Minh City attracted from 60% to 70% of the 117,000 Khmer tourists.
“According to tourism experts, the increase in the number of Cambodian tourists to Vietnam resulted from the lifting of visas requirements between both countries. The president of the Cambodian Association of Travel Agents, Mr. Ang Kim Eang, said on 23 August 2010 by phone that he does not have accurate figures of Khmer tourists to Vietnam, but he believes that among those tourists, most went only for medical services.
“Based on Vietnamese media, those who go for medical services in Vietnam are considered as tourists. The same source continued that each day, about 100 Cambodians seek medical services at hospitals in Ho Chi Minh City.
“An official of the Ministry of Tourism said that the Ministry does not have accurate numbers of citizens visiting foreign countries. What the Ministry has is the total number of Cambodian citizens going abroad.
“The same official added that within six months of 2010, about 232,317 Cambodian citizens went abroad.” Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.18, #5285, 25.8.2010
Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Wednesday, 25 August 2010
Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.9, #2336, 25.8.2010
- For the Third Time, an Additional 51 Workers of the MV Factory Fainted, and the Ministry of Labor Is Requested to Close the Factory to Check the Factory
- Cambodia Asked [Thai Prime Minister] Abhisit to Warn [the Thai royalist Yellow Shirt movement leader] Sondhi Limthongkul, Who Makes Himself a Cruel Person [by using rough words to attack Prime Minister Hun Sen]
Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul [สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล] is one of the founders of the royalist Yellow Shirt Movement. – In April 2009 he suffered an assassination attempt. In July 2010, he was indicted by the public prosecutor for lese majeste – an “anti-royalist” crime. In Thai media, he is often called a “media firebrand” because of his fiery speeches]
The speech under reference by Mr. Sondhi Limthongkul could not be found, however the response by the Press and Quick reaction Unit of the Office of the Council of Ministers, distributed to the press:
Kingdom of Cambodia
Nation Religion King
Office of the Council of Ministers
Press and Quick reaction Unit
The Spokesperson of the Press and Quick Reaction Unit (PRU) of the Office of the Council of Ministers of the Royal Government of Cambodia has noticed that Mr. Sondhi Limthongkun, leader of the PAD (the Yellow Shirts), in the Thailand’s weekly political nightly program broadcast over ASTV on 20 August 2010, has made slanderous statement attacking our beloved and respected leader, Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, conducting a hatred campaign against the people of Cambodia, igniting the name of enmity between Cambodians and Thais. He has proven once more that he is becoming a raving lunatic. By turning deaf ear and blind eye to Sondhi Limthongkun’s hatred activities against Cambodia, the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva has become an accomplice and a sponsor of a criminal prone activity, and therefore responsible for any moral and political consequences that might happen in the future.
It is unworthy to repeat what Sondhi Limthongkun, a harebrained person had said on ASTV. However the Spokesperson of the PRU will take the high ground and wishes to bring to the attention of the public at large of the followings:
- Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia is admirably and deeply loved and respected by the Cambodian people. He accedes to the leadership of the Government through the holding of just and fair consecutive general elections with the majority of the votes of the people and by the unanimity of votes by the members of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP).
- He is a peace loving and peace building statesman of international stature. He had seen and experienced enough the horrors of war; he fought for the survival of the Cambodian people and the nation against the Khmer Rouge genocidal regime. In fact, he builds the great national unity among Cambodians, defends the national independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity, culminating in the integration of Cambodia into ASEAN family, at the regional level. On the international arena, Cambodia has been known to be a fast developing country economically and socially, a country that brings justice to the victims of crime committed against humanity through the exceptional Cambodian and UN creation and functioning of the Extraordinary Chamber in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC). For his internationally recognized dedication to peace, Samdech Prime Minister of Cambodia was awarded Doctor Honoris Causa and other numerous international awards and he is also a full-right member of the Academy of Natural Sciences.
- Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo Hun Sen. Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia is a dedicated and fervent Buddhist and is abide by the principles of non-violence. He upholds and leads traditional Buddhist festivities, and cares for aged devotees nationwide;
- King Noreso of Thailand, in fact, had asked for help from King of Cambodia during a Siam (Thailand) war with the Burmeses. After Siam had grown stronger, Siam forgot who had been the benefactor and behaves like a crocodile (in the Cambodian folk tale) that got burnt almost to death and begged a peasant to save its life and to bring it to a pond, and to return the favor to the peasant, the crocodile insisted that it must eat him, for what reason? Because the peasant tied the beast too tight when transporting it to the pond”. This had been the way that Siam had behaved, and the way that Siam had taken away Cambodian territories, like the provinces of Surin, Sisaket, Ubon. etc…
- The campaign of intoxication by Sondhi Limthongkun which proved to be unsuccessful up to now, has been turned to be a campaign of hatred from a raving lunatic who had his brain damaged by Thai bullets for his arrogance to the point of abasing himself. As the spokesperson of PRU had said before, “he, who sows the winds, will harvest the turbulence”. Therefore, Sondhi Limthongkun will wind up getting blown away and drown by Thai political typhoons. Sondhi Limthongkun is no longer a human being. He has turned into a beast and spoke cruelly and shamelessly about nonsense.
Once again, the Spokesperson of the PRU urges Thai political figures to put an end to the malicious campaign of innuendo, suggestion and speculation to fault Cambodia by raising the issue of the Temple of Preah Vihear based on their mysterious, unilateral and internationally unrecognized map, and to raise the enmity of Thai people towards Cambodia for their personal political gains in the midst of the squabbling among Thai politicians and the deep division of Thai society. The Spokesperson of the PRU strongly urges the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva to warn Sondhi Limthongkun to stop representing the Kingdom of Thailand as a whole as the kingdom of barbarians who think about violence, killing, cruelty by way of “decapitating and spiking head on the stick” as the way of political and social life. Last but not least, the Spokesperson of the PRU strongly urges the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva to take immediate action against Sondhi Limthongkun, for the sake of future good relations between Ihe two countries, for the simple reason that Sondhi Limthongkun, is less than a human being. He is indeed a cruel beast. Sondhi Limthongkun deserved to be muzzled and kept in the institution of deranged and dangerous people.
Phnom Penh, 24 August, 2010
Koh Santepheap, Vol.43, #7043, 25.8.2010
- Many Cubic Meters of Ebony Wood Are Exported into Thai Territory through the Thma Da Border Crossing with the Protection by Armed Personnel [Koh Kong]
- Taiwan Advertised Medical Services in Cambodia [to attract Cambodians to receive medical services in Taiwan]
Moneaksekar Khmer, Vol.17, #3967, 25.8.2010
- [Sam Rainsy Party parliamentarian] Son Chhay Wants the Contract or Concession Documents to Be Published on the Website [Note: not found] of the Anti-Corruption Unit for Transparency
- [Prime Minister] Hun Sen’s Order to Intercept Forestry Crimes Is No Longer Followed [recently, there is more illegal wood transported]
Nokor Wat, Vol.1, #39, 25.8.2010
- The Khmer Rouge Tribunal Will Begin Case 002 in 2011 [of the former Khmer Rouge leaders Ieng Sary, Ieng Thirith, Khiev Samphan, and Nuon Chea]
- The Thai Ambassador Arrived in the Phnom Penh International Airport at 19:20 p.m [on 24 August 2010] and the Khmer Ambassador Will Depart at 9:40 a.m on Wednesday Morning [to Bangkok]
- A Delegation of the European Parliament Comes to Study the Medical Sector in Cambodia
Phnom Penh Post [Khmer Edition], Vol.1, #244, 25.8.2010
- Cambodia Has Not Implemented the Competition Policy in Commerce as It Affects Local Companies [while they do not yet have enough ability – according to the Minister of Commerce, Mr. Cham Prasidh]
- The Exports of Cambodia Still Face Problems Due to the Lack of Infrastructure [and expensive transportation]
Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.18, #5285, 25.8.2010
- Khmer Kampuchea Krom Community Asked the King to Help Solve Problems of Khmer Kampuchea Krom People [by asking the Vietnamese government to release all Khmer citizens arrested by the Vietnamese authorities over land disputes and over the expression of opinions]
- Vietnam Said within Six Months This Year There Were Nearly 120,000 Cambodian Tourist Arrivals in Vietnam
Have a look at the last editorial – you can access it directly from the main page of the Mirror.
And please recommend The Mirror also to your colleagues and friends.
Businesspeople Inside and Outside of the Country Gather Force to Promote the Real Estate Market in Cambodia – Wednesday, 11.2.2009
The Mirror, Vol. 13, No. 599
“Phnom Penh: This week, real estate businesspeople from inside and outside of the country gathered to create a new association to promote and improve the declining real estate market in Cambodia. The Association of Cambodian Real Estate Developers aims to help restore the fast declining real estate market in Cambodian to grow up again.
“Real estates companies expressed their hope that the real estate market will become active again soon. Representatives of real estates companies had assembled to join forces and to make efforts to restore their situation, lively selling real estate in Cambodia again. Mr. Van So Ieng, who was selected to be the president of the Association of the Cambodian Real Estate Developers, said that this new association plays a role to help coordinate work with the government, in order to find ways to reactivate the land and the house markets in Cambodia.
“Mr. Van So Ieng added that the creation of this association is to establish another new force to encourage activities regarding real estate, to get moving ahead.
“It should be noted that the Association of the Cambodian Real Estate Developers was created, after the real estate market of Cambodia had collapsed, and while the government established a new policy, requiring real estate companies to deposit 2% of to the volume of each construction project as a security deposit.
“The director of the Bunna Realty Group, Mr. Sung Bunna, who was nominated secretary-general of the Association of the Cambodian Real Estate Developers, disagrees with the policy requiring to make a 2% security deposit per construction site. However, he agrees with the establishment of a mechanism to monitor all real estate companies, which is being drafted by the Ministry of Economy and Finance.
“It should be stressed that the policy to reserve a 2% security deposit for ongoing construction activities is to ensure confidence from companies contracting a construction company, so that the customers continue to commit their money to acquire flats.
“Mr. Sung Bunna requested the government to consider the disadvantages of this security depositing policy in a situation when Cambodia’s real estate market is going down like this.
“As for the director of the Udom Vathanak Company that buys and sells land, Mr. Men Ra, he presented the opinion that the 2% security deposit creates a disadvantage that can affect the newly growing real estate market in Cambodia.
“Ahead of the elections in 2008, activities on the real estate market in Cambodia started to slow down, and so far, the land and the house construction markets are still quiet, which is partly also the result of the international financial crisis.
“Mr. Men Ra said that the land market in Cambodia, with cooperating efforts by the government, will become activated again soon.
“Mr. Van So Ieng expressed his hope that the land market will grow again after the real estate companies in Cambodia assembled to form the new Association, especially if there is cooperation from the government.
“Also, Mr. Van So Ieng mentioned that solutions might also be found from the policy of providing loans to citizens to buy houses – this can help to reactivate the real estate market in Cambodia.
“It should be noted that the Cambodian government announced that government institutions are beginning to release loans in an effort to encourage the buying of land and of flats again.
“This announcement by the government was welcomed by different real estate companies in Cambodia.
“Mr. Men Ra called for supporting activities by the National Bank of Cambodia in order to restore the present weak situation of the land market.
“So far, real estate businesspeople still hope that sooner or later, there will be land selling activities again.” Khmer Sthapana, Vol.2, #200, 11.2.2009
Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Wednesday, 11 February 2009
Cheat Khmer, Vol.1, #15, 11.2.2009
- Civil Society [the Cambodian Center for Human Rights and the Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association]: Global Witness’s Website Is Closed Because It Touches Sensitive Spots of Corrupt Officials of the Cambodian People’s Party
Khmer Aphivaot Sethakech, Vol. 7, #339, 11.2.2009
- The Government and the National Assembly Plan to Question the Person Who Ordered Armed Forces to the Mobitel Company [closing it for about 4 hours]
- More Than 2,000 Olympic Market Vendors Protest in Front of the Residence of Samdech Dekchor Hun Sen [over the rising prices of market stalls]
Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.8, #1870, 11.2.2009
- Director General of National Police [Net Savoeun] Orders to Cancel Illegal Police Number Plates, starting in May 2009
- [The Russey Keo district governor] Kleang Huot Is Accused of Threatening a Man with a Weapon and Hitting and Injuring Him [Phnom Penh]
- Getting Angry with the Run Away Owner, Some Workers Used the Opportunity to Take All Sewing-Machines of the Factory Away [Wan Sida / Siao Pao Factory – Phnom Penh]
- Two Thai Men, Who Drove a Car and Crashed into a Truck Loaded with Wood from Behind, Died Immediately on Road 67 B in Srae Nouy Commune [Siem Reap]
Khmer Machas Srok, Vol.3, #341, 11.2.2009
- Opposition Party [the Sam Rainsy Party] and Civil Society [the Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association] Criticize the Creation of a National Education Council [saying that it is useless because its tasks are already the responsibility of the Ministry of Education]
Khmer Sthapana, Vol.2, #200, 11.2.2009
- Businesspeople Inside and Outside of the Country Gather Force to Promote the Real Estate Market in Cambodia
- National Education Council Is Created to Monitor the Quality of Education of State and Private Universities
- The Norodom Ranariddh Party Will Hold a Congress to Change Its Name on 15 February 2009 [as planned by one of its factions]
Koh Santepheap, Vol.42, #6575, 11.2.2009
- There Is Logging, but There Is No Replanting; In the Middle of Botum Sakor National Park’s Buffer Zone, Trees Are Being Cut Down [Koh Kong]
- More Than 13,000 Tourists Visited the National Museum in 2008
- Poland Feels Hurt after Pakistani Taliban Beheaded a [Polish] Hostage
Mate Nak, Vol.2, #20, 11-17.2.2009
- Cambodia Will Launch a Stock Exchange Market This Year
Moneaksekar Khmer, Vol.16, #3684, 11.2.2009
- Mr. Sam Rainsy Is Disappointed with the Hun Sen Government That Delivers More Than 10,000 Hectares of Land to a Company from Kuwait [to establish an agro-business]
Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.17, #4818, 11.2.2009
- The Cambodian Association of Travel Agents Wants the Government to Reduce Prices of Some Services [such as visa fees, airport taxes, tickets to visit different tourist sites] to attract tourists while the financial crisis is strongly threatening tourism from countries in the region]
- The Khmer Rouge Tribunal Forbids that People in the Audience [allowed to participate in the hearing of former Tuol Sleng Prison chief Kaing Gek Eav on 17 February 2009] Wear Shirts with Slogans Supporting or Attacking the Khmer Rouge Case
- The Cambodian Center for Human Rights Encourages the Government to Support Freedom of Expression
- The Owner of the Viva Tinouy Factory [phonetic] Runs Away from [around 1,000] Workers with US$200,000!
- Health Official: The Quality of Cancer Treatment in Cambodia Is Not Lower Than in Other Countries
- Japan Grants Nearly US$3 Million to Two Projects [irrigation in Kompong Speu and infectious disease control]
Have a look at the last editorial – you can access it directly from the main page of the Mirror.
And please recommend us also to your colleagues and friends.
Back to top