There Are Nearly 500 Entertainment Places at Night, Most of Them Are Karaoke Parlors – Monday, 1.3.2010
The Mirror, Vol. 14, No. 654
“Phnom Penh: At present, there are nearly 500 entertainment places in Phnom Penh, such as beer gardens, karaoke parlors, night clubs, discotheques, restaurants or other places where alcohol and some meals are served, accompanied with music, and female beer seller [often called “Beer Girls”].
“According to reports from the Phnom Penh Municipality, distributed during a recent convention to sum up the work in 2009 and to set the direction for 2010, big entertainment places include 76 beer gardens, 83 karaoke parlors, 10 night clubs, and 9 discotheques. Based on unofficial estimations by expert officials, there are around 300 other places such as clubs, restaurants, small restaurants, or places where soup is served like in beer gardens, where there are women to entertain the male guests.
“The above report went on to say that in Phnom Penh there are 142 hotels, 353 guesthouses, 8 [mainly poor people’s building blocks, 54 massage shops, and 233 tourism agencies. 303 places were provided with tourism licenses, 91 new sites were opened, the validity of 266 sites was suspended, and 17 sites were closed because of armed clashes, sex trafficking, rape, and other disturbing offenses.
“It is worth to point out that in recent years, big and small entertainment places that run at night are growing like mushrooms. Some are operated in restaurants where the Phnom Penh police cannot easily control them. Sometimes it is only after problems have occurred that police could know about it. Entertainment places do not need any advertisements at present [to attract customers].” Koh Santepheap, Vol.43, #6896, 1.3.2010
Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Monday, 01 March 2010
Deum Ampil, Vol. 4, #422, 28-1.2-3.2010
- Mr. Tivear 06 [the nickname of a policeman] Is Detained in the PJ Prison Suspected of Intention to Murder [by poisoning his police colleagues, killing one person and affecting four others]
- An Elderly Woman Died from Diarrhea [twenty more people were refereed to hospital – Kompong Chhnang – some claim, others deny that it is Cholera]
Kampuchea Thmey, Vol. 9, #2189, 28-1.2-3.2010
- Samdech Dekchor Hun Sen Warned He Might Close the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces Television Station [TV5, as it does not broadcast much about the activities of the Cambodian Armed Forces]
- A Two Year Old Girl Cried on a Boat for nearly 20 Hours after Her Father Had Died while Trying to Fish Using Electric Shocks [she was found at around 12 at midnight – Pursat]
Koh Santepheap, Vol.43, #6896, 1.3.2010
- There Are Nearly 500 Entertainment Places at Night, Most of Them Are Karaoke Parlors [there are 76 beer gardens, 83 karaoke parlors, 10 night clubs, and 9 discotheques in Phnom Penh]
Moneaksekar Khmer, Vol. 17, #3820, 1.3.2010
- [The opposition party president] Sam Rainsy: My Map and the Government’s Map Must Be Compared to See Which One Is Recognized Internationally [Editorial Note: No identification or access on the Internet are provided – this information – surprisingly – is not given for the maps of both sides – so how can they be compared?]
Khmer Machas Srok, Vol. 4, #2614, 28-1.2-3.2010
- [A Sam Rainsy Party parliamentarian,] Ms. Mu Sochua Is Appointed as the Head of the Sam Rainsy Party Battambang Branch [to replace Mr. Eng Chhay Eang]
Phnom Penh Post [Khmer Edition], Vol. 1, #120, 1.3.2010
- The Prime Minister Said that Cambodia Is Not Preparing to Start a War [but is prepared to stand firm agains invaders
- The Government Plans to Destroy 170 [artificial] Reservoirs [in Battambang, Kompong Thom, and Siem Reap, as they were constructed in areas of flooded mangrove forest, fishery lots, or fishing community zones, in order to preserve natural resources and to ensure citizens’ health]
- Thailand Strengthens Security, while Thaksin Shinawatra Will Appeal against the Judgment [that seized about 60% his assets, about US$1.4 billion, leaving him still with the rest of about 40%]
Ramsmei Kampuchea, Vol. 18, #5138, 28-1.2-3.2010
- The Chinese Ambassador: The Cambodian-Chinese Relations Grew Like a Big Flourishing Tree [because of the the cooperation between institutions and ministries of both countries]
- The Government Will Spend More Than Riel 1 Billion [approx. US$240,000] for the Promotion of Sanitation in Rural Areas [in 2010 by educating people to use toilets]
- A Police Officer [the Deputy General Director of the National Police, General Yun Chhuny]: Do Not Use Speed Monitoring Devices to Extort Money from Citizens [such devices must be used properly according to the law by traffic police]
Have a look at the last editorial – you can access it directly from the main page of the Mirror.
And please recommend The Mirror also to your colleagues and friends.