A Criminal Police Official Did Car Racing Contrary to His Role, and a Car Mechanic Criticized Him and Was Assaulted for It Seriously – Tuesday, 15.12.2009
The Mirror, Vol. 13, No. 643
Apologies for the delay – no electricity yesterday afternoon and evening.
“Phnom Penh: A deputy director of the lower criminal police office of the Phnom Penh Police was accused by citizens of using violence, and using a pistol to threaten and shoot at a car mechanic, at the Heng Heng car garage, located at House 12, Street 39, Srah Chak commune, Daun Penh district, Phnom Penh, at 7:35 p.m. on 13 December 2009.
“The victim, who was tortured, is Khat Dara – called Chhoam, male, 25. He stays at House 28, Street 216, in Khmuonh commune, Sen Sok district. He is a car mechanic of the Heng Heng car garage.
“Witnesses at the site said that relatives of the owner of the Heng Heng car garage, and mechanics were having dinner. Suddenly, two cars, one a dark green Corolla and the other one a golden ‘Shark’ Camry [popular name as the front part looks like a shark’s head], came racing each other; the drivers seemed heavily drunk. Some said that they raced in the center of Phnom Penh as if it were in a Hong Kong action movie. While the two cars went across the Heng Heng car garage compound, a mechanic, Khat Dara (who later became victimized) shouted to warn children not to cross the road, being afraid an accident might happen. The driver of the Corolla seemed to hear it and stepped on the brake, but was hit by the Shark Camry following from behind, that hit the back of the Corolla, damaging its bumper and number plate. Then the owner of the Corolla stepped out: he is known as the deputy director of the lower criminal police office of the Phnom Penh Police, his nick name is Tivea 06 [‘Anniversary 06’] while the owner of the Shark Camry is a military police official.
“After he came out of his car, strongly smelling of wine, the police officer Tivea 06 shouted, ‘Who shouted at me?’ and the mechanic, Khat Dara, called Chhoam, walked towards this police official to tell him that he had no intention to shout at him, but he just warned the children not to cross the road. In response, Mr. Tivea 06 pulled his two inch pistol, to hit the victim on the head many times, then he kicked the victim very hard, which he should not do, as he is a police official who has to enforce the law. Next, Mr. Tivea 06 and his partner, known as a military police official, dragged the victim into the Chen Dom Dek Pagoda, where he continued to hit him all over, and even tried to shot at him twice, but it was fortunate that the gun did not work.
“A Witness added that as Mr. Tivea 06 got angry because his gun did not work, he then called his fellow police through a walkie-talkie, to come with three motorbikes to the site to handcuff and to take the victim to the lower criminal police office of the Phnom Penh Police.
“A Phnom Penh police official said that when the victim arrived at that station, Mr. Tivea 06 remained angry, and used an electric wire to shock the victim, so that he fainted. After that, probably because the cruel torture was heard by a brigadier of the Phnom Penh Police, Mr. Tivea ordered his fellow police to use a towel to wipe the blood from the victim’s face, and to change his clothes, and to send him by car to the Calmette Hospital.
“Citizens who witnessed the event condemned Mr. Tivea 06, now the deputy director of the Phnom Penh lower criminal police office, saying that he should not be a police official who has to enforce the law. If he is good at assaulting innocent citizen like this, he should go to Preah Vihear, because the government is seeking strong persons to protect the border from many enemies! The family of the victim, of Khat Dara, will lodge a complaint at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court to find justice. Citizens at the site of the event shouted loudly that the deputy director of the Phnom Penh lower criminal police office, Mr. Tivea 06, should be a model for citizens in obeying and implementing the law, but he is a cruel person, who actively broke the law, and he should not be allowed to keep on working, as he is such bad model.
“Koh Santepheap tried to ask for clarification from Major Neang Sokna, called Tivea 06, in the evening of 13 December 2009, but could not reach him.” Koh Santepheap, Vol.42, #6831, 15.12.2009
Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Tuesday, 15 December 2009
Deum Ampil, Vol.3, #362, 15.12.2009
- The Siamese [Thai] Spy Was Freed, while [the Thai ousted and now fugitive prime minister] Thaksin Shinawatra Came to Visit Hun Sen
- The First Secretary-General of the Communist Party of Vietnam [Mr. Nông Đức Mạnh – Nong Duc Manh], Will Visit Cambodia on 17 December 2009 [in response to an invitation from the King]
- Robbers Gunned Down the Wife of a Village Chief, and Took Away Riel 17 Million Safely [approx. US$4,250 – Pursat]
Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.8, #2124, 15.12.2009
- [The Minister of Industry, Mines, and Energy] Suy Sem: In Late 2011, Electricity Costs in Cambodia Will Be Cheaper [because of the Kamchay hydro-electric dam which will produce 193 megawatts when it operates, and in addition, 200 megawatts from Vietnam will have been connected]
Khmer Amatak, Vol.10, #696, 15.12.2009
- The Court Requires Sam Rainsy [who is now abroad], to Appear over an Accusation of Destruction of State Property [for removing Cambodian-Vietnamese temporary border makers], and for Creating a Nationalist Incitement
Khmer Machas Srok, Vol.3, #555, 15.12.2009
- Sam Rainsy Party Parliamentarians Arrived at the Border, and Found the Fact that Farmers Had Lost Some of Their Rice Fields [to Vietnam]; Soldiers and Police Armed with Shields and Electric Batons Blocked the Way of the Parliamentarians [to check the temporary border markers]
Koh Santepheap, Vol.42, #6831, 15.12.2009
- A Criminal Police Official Did Car Racing Contrary to His Role, and a Car Mechanic Criticized Him and Was Assaulted for It Seriously
- The Construction of a Water Pumping Station [in Svay Pak commune, Russey Keo district], Starts, so that the North of Phnom Penh Should No Longer be Flooded [it can pump 50.4 cubic meters per hour, and the construction will be finished within 9 months]
Phnom Penh Post [Khmer Edition], Vol.1, #67, 15.12.2009
- The Authorities Announced Not to Issue Land Ownership Titles for Some Regions [in Phnom Penh: seven regions in the Tonle Basak commune, Chamkar Mon district, claming that those regions are “complex” – no further explanation]
- In 2010 Cambodia Will Yield 7.3 Million Tonnes for Paddy Rice, Where 3.2 Million Tonnes Can Be Exported [according to the Ministry of Agriculture]
Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.17, #5073, 15.12.2009
- The Thai Spy Was Released and Returned to Bangkok after Directly Receiving the Letter of Pardon from Samdech Dekchor [Hun Sen at his resident]
- A Soldier Truck Loaded with Wood Hit People and Overturned Suddenly, Killing Two and Injuring More Than 10 [Siem Reap]
- The United States Donated a Set of Devices to Scan for Radioactivity, Worth US$3 Million, to the Cambodian Government
- The Italian Prime Minister’s Nose and Teeth Were Broken because a Miniature Replica of the Milan Cathedral was thrown at him by a man [who was then detained]
Sereypheap Thmey, Vol.17, #1833, 15.12.2009
- The Authorities Failed to Prevent Citizens and Opposition Party Parliamentarians to Check the Border Markers [in Svay Rieng – they went around the road blocks]
Have a look at the last editorial – you can access it directly from the main page of the Mirror.
And please recommend us also to your colleagues and friends.