There Are More Than 220,000 Clients of Sex Services in Cambodia – Tuesday, 4.08.2009
The Mirror, Vol. 13, No. 624
“Phnom Penh: Expert AIDS officials in Cambodia said that there are about 220,000 people who buy sex services in Cambodia, corresponding to 6% of the male population between the ages of 15 and 49.
“The deputy director of the National AIDS Authority of Cambodia, Mr. Tea Phalla, said during a training course to educate ‘Friends Educate Friends’ teachers on 3 August 2009 at the Ministry of Interior, ‘According to the observation of sex services in Cambodia, there are 220,000 clients of these services, corresponding to 6% of the male population between the ages of 15 and 49.
“Mr. Tea Phalla added, ‘In the last ten years, AIDS prevention has been a success, because police helped with this task.’ He went on to say that people selling sex services are afraid of the police, promoting the policy of the Royal Government of Cambodia to practice 100% condom use.
“He added that 14% of 400,000 men have girlfriends and sex partners besides their wives. ‘According to another observation, there are about 20,000 men seeking sex services each night in Cambodia at present.’
“Mr. Tea Phalla continued to say, ‘20% of the prostitutes use drugs, and it is hard to educate women who sell sex services not to use drugs.’
“The director of the AIDS Secretariat of the Ministry of Interior, Mr. Pen Vibol, said during the training, ‘Condom use increased after the ‘Friends Educate Friends’ program had been created. We are proud of our efforts.’
“Mr. Pen Vibol added, ‘AIDS is still a hot and worrying problem in Cambodia; as for AIDS prevalence in Cambodia, compared with neighboring countries in Southeast Asia, Cambodia has a higher rate.’
“The deputy director of Family Health International in Cambodia (FHI), Mr. Song Ngak, said, ‘FHI wants to see also that educational activities to prevent AIDS are included into the training school of national police of Cambodia.’
“He added that AIDS reached Cambodia in 1990s, in 1991 there were people confirmed to have HIV, more people which had been infected with AIDS were found in 1993, and the highest rate of AIDS infection occurred in 1996 and 1997.
“He added that people who died of AIDS from 1998 to 2002 did not receive treatment services as Cambodia did not have such possibilities at that time.
“Mr. Song Ngak continued to say that, ‘In 2007, approx. 3.1% of national police were infected with AIDS.’ [[Correction: 2003, not 2007!]]
“The head of the Medicine Management Office and director of the AIDS Program of the Ministry of Interior, Mr. Hy Samet, said, ‘The AIDS Secretariat of the Ministry of Interior trains ‘Friends Educate Friends’ teachers to have skills in educating about AIDS and about sexually transmitted diseases, and to promote the health of the national police forces, in order to contribute to reduce HIV and AIDS infections in Cambodia.’
“Mr. Hy Samet stated that the ‘Friends Educate Friends’ training course will take five days, with 26 trainees, from seven provinces and cities.”Deum Ampil, Vol.3, #253, 4.8.2009
Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Tuesday, 4 August 2009
Deum Ampil, Vol.3, #253, 4.8.2009
- The Director of the Phanimex Company [Ms. Suy Sophan] Ordered Machinery to Clear Citizens’ Housing [Kandal]
- There Are More Than 220,000 Clients of Sex Services in Cambodia
- The 319 War Refugee Families at Preah Vihear Have New Housing
Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.8, #2013, 4.8.2009
- The Sam Rainsy Party Prepares to Establish a Foundation for Parliamentarians Who Lose Their Court Cases [and also for journalists supporting the party]
- A Military Official Uses His Commander’s Name [name not given] to Intervene to Prevent 10 Cubic Meter of Luxury Wood from Aural District from Being Seized [Kompong Speu]
- In the First Six Months of 2009, the Number of Deaths from Traffic Accidents Declined [there were 333 traffic accidents, 105 deaths, 318 seriously injured people, and 206 lightly injured people; compared to 2008, there had been 139 deaths – Phnom Penh]
Karpear Cheat, Vol.2, #13, 2-3.8.2009
- MetFone [a telecommunication company from Vietnam] Signed a Contract to Sponsor the Cambodian Football League [with US$1.5 Million]
Koh Santepheap, Vol.42, #6719, 4.8.2009
- Forest in the Boeng Melea and the Our Thma Dab National Parks Are Being Cleared to Claim Land [for private ownership – Siem Reap]
- Fishermen Warn that They Will Protest against Land Filling [at the seashore in Kampot – as their lives depend on the sea and the filling destroy the habitat of sea fish. This land filling is also against PM Hun Sen’s order who had said that any development plans, that affect people’s benefits, must not be allowed]
- [Minister of Information] Khieu Kanharith: Not All Information Can Be Provided, Especially Security Information
Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.17, #4963, 4.8.2009
- The Number of People Confirmed with A/H1N1 Flu Increases to 21 in Cambodia
- Vietnamese People’s Army Grants Materials to Cambodian Army to Produce Maps
- The Authorities Have Not Taken Action against Nearly 100 Unlicensed Sand Dredging Sites in Kandal Stung District [Kandal]
- Land Cruiser Hit a Motorbike, Killing Two Persons and Injuring Three [Siem Reap]
Sereypheap Thmey, Vol.17, #1764, 4.8.2009
- [Former Tuol Sleng Prison chief] Duch Rejected a Witness [Mr. Kek Dan] Who Claimed He Worked as Medic of the S21 Center
Have a look at the last editorial – you can access it directly from the main page of the Mirror.
And please recommend us also to your colleagues and friends.