Thursday, 30.8.2007: Former Chief of Tuol Sleng Prison Appeals against Ongoing Detention by Co-Investigating Judges of Khmer Rouge Tribunal

Posted on 31 August 2007. Filed under: Week 523 |

The Mirror, Vol. 11, No. 523

“Phnom Penh: According to a press release from the Khmer Rouge tribunal on 29 August, Mr. Kar Savuth and Mr. Francois Roux, the lawyers for Kaing Guek Eav, known as Duch, the former chief of Tuol Sleng Prison, appealed on 23 August 2007 against the verdict to continue the temporary detention of the accused by the investigating judges of the Khmer Rouge tribunal since 31 July 2007; documents were sent to the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia [ECCC] and the ECCC will take action on the documents soon.

“Recently, the co-investigating judges of the Khmer Rouge tribunal charged Duch, 66, with crimes against humanity and ordered his detention at the court, waiting for the court’s investigation. On 29 August, Koh Santepheap could not reach Duch’s lawyers for comments. However, Mr. Kar Savuth said in The Cambodia Daily, published on 29 August, ‘I have already filed a notice of appeal.’

“Before being taken to be detained at the Khmer Rouge tribunal on 31 July 2007, Duch had been detained at the Military Prison in Phnom Penh since May 1999. A source close to the lawyers affirmed that this case may cause complications for the trial.

“However, the detention order defines that any abuse of due process occurred before the existence of the ECCC, and the charges to be punished are heavier. Judges also took care that at this time Duch is detained in a good room, with two doctors assigned to check his sickness regularly, and even a special car is available to carry him to a hospital if needed. ‘Duch’s health is normally good, and he can walk in the complex of the detention center, as well as have some talk with the guards.’

“Mr. Kar Savuth declined comment on the discussion of the appeal. However, the tribunal’s regulations say that the co-investigating judges have five days, in order to send a case to the ECCC pre-trial chamber, which has five judges, who then have to schedule a time for the hearing. These regulations also state that the ECCC chamber will decide whether to make the hearing, the legal arguments, and the decisions to be publicly known.

“Mr. Peter Foster, UN spokesperson [for Khmer Rouge tribunal], also told the above newspaper that the pre-trial judges would have a wide margin in decision-making before the trial, whether to retain all or one part of the legal procedures confidential. Nonetheless, Mr. Foster added that he is optimistic that what will be discussed verbally and what will be in court documents will be open for the public in this case.

“He continued, ‘There is no way we can say this for sure, but our purpose is to make as much as possible about this process known publicly.’ Koh Santepheap, Vol.40, #6131, 30.8.2007

Newspapers Appearing on the Newsstand:
Thursday, 30 August 2007

Kampuchea Thmey, Vol.6, #1431, 30.8.2007

  • One Hunter Killed and Another Seriously Wounded by Wild Buffalo [Phnom Sruoch, Kompong Speu]
  • Taliban Militants Agree to Release [19] South Korean Hostages [under condition that South Korean troops will be withdrawn from Afghanistan at the end of 2008]
  • More Than 100 Die in Violence in Afghanistan
  • 27 Killed in Fighting During [Shiite] Pilgrimage in Iraq
  • Bus Crash Kills 73 People in Uganda

Khmer Machas Srok, Vol.1, #14, 30.8.2007

  • Rong Chhun [president of Cambodian Independent Teachers’ Association] Demands Investigation into Irregularities over High School Exams
  • Mobitel Phone Network Overwhelmingly Criticized for Bad Connections [on 29 August]

Koh Santepheap, Vol.40, #6131, 30.8.2007

  • Former Chief of Tuol Sleng Prison Appeals against Ongoing Detention by Co-Investigating Judges of Khmer Rouge Tribunal
  • 86-Year-Old Monk Beaten to Death by Unknown Person [Kandal Stung, Kandal]
  • American Citizens Have 90 Guns per 100 People [according to report of Graduate Institute of International Studies]

Rasmei Kampuchea, Vol.15, #4376, 30.8.2007

  • Officials Demolish Houses at Building Block to Take Land and Give It to 7NG Company [Chamkar Mon, Phnom Penh]
  • Ministry of Culture Sends Senior Officials to Investigate Excavations of Khmer Ancestors’ Ancient Graves in Souphi Village [Ou Chrov, Banteay Meanchey]

Go to last week’s editorial

Back to top

Advertisements

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: